About CSL Main Pages
Did You Know?
The Office of Service Learning worked with 83 faculty members on teaching and scholarship related to service learning.
For More Information
- IUPUI received the 2010 Outreach Scholarship W.K. Kellogg Foundation Engagement Award from the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities . The nomination highlighted the partnership between IUPUI and George Washington Community School. IUPUI was one of five universities to receive the prestigious award, which comes with a $6,000 prize. Receipt of the award also includes a nomination for the national Peter Magrath Community Engagement Award and a $20,000 prize.
- In 2010 IUPUI was nominated for the Higher Education Civic Engagement Award from the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars. Award winners are selected based on campus accomplishments in encouraging civic engagement.
- Society for College and University Planning: In 2009 IUPUI was nominated for the SCUP Award for Institutional Innovation and Integration. The award nomination highlighted the institutional planning process and civic engagement at IUPUI.
- Best Neighbor/Saviors of our Cities: IUPUI was recognized in 2009 as one of the top five “Best Neighbor” colleges and universities in the nation, based on a survey announced at the annual conference of the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities.
- IUPUI was named to the 2009 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service. Selection to the Honor Roll constitutes recognition from the highest levels of the federal government for the campus commitment to service and civic engagement.
- The 2009 edition of America’s Best Colleges from US News and World Report listed IUPUI as one of the top universities in the nation with outstanding service-learning programs. IUPUI has received this recognition annually since 2002.
- The 2008 edition of America’s Best Colleges from US News and World Report listed IUPUI as one of 38 universities with outstanding service-learning programs. IUPUI has received this distinction annually since 2002.
- Beyond the Books Project: In 2007 IUPUI was selected for inclusion in the inaugural edition of the Guide to Service-Learning Colleges and Universities. This is a national college recruiting tool for incoming students. IUPUI was recognized as a “school with an excellent service-learning program,” and the Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarship Program was highlighted as an outstanding program.
- Carnegie Classification for “Community Engagement”: In 2006, IUPUI was among the first of 62 campuses in the country to receive the “Community Engagement” classification through the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The campus received the designation for both “Curricular Engagement” and “Community Partnerships.”
- Presidential Award for Community Service, 2006: In the inaugural year for this award, IUPUI was selected by the Corporation for National and Community Service as one of three universities in the country (out of 510 applications) to receive the Presidential Award for exceptional accomplishments in General Student Community Service activities. Additionally, the campus received Distinction for Hurricane Katrina Relief Service. Both of these awards are part of the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
- Saviors of our Cities, 2006: IUPUI was recognized in a national report by the New England Board of Higher Education as one of 25 urban colleges and universities that have dramatically strengthened the economy and quality of life of their neighboring communities. The campus was ranked the highest among the public universities named for this distinction.
- In 2005 IUPUI was one of 81 colleges and universities from a pool of over 900 nominations selected by The Princeton Review and Campus Compact as a “College with a Conscience.”
- In 2001, The American Association of State Colleges and Universities selected IUPUI as a campus tht demonstrated a high level of commitment to civic engagement.
- In 1998, the American Association of Higher Education, Campus Compact, and the National Society for Experiential Education identified IUPUI as a Model of Good Practice for the institutionalization of service learning.
- In 1996, IUPUI was one of four campuses selected to participate in the Kellogg Peer Review of Professional Service project.
IUPUI Center for Service and Learning
850 West Michigan Street | Hine Hall (IP), Room 243| Indianapolis, IN 46202 | Phone: 317-278-2662 | Fax: 317-278-7683 |