IUPUI Research Academy
Conceptualizing. Designing. Networking.
The IUPUI Research Academy is an interactive summer workshop to develop skills, learn about methods and literature, develop a research project, and advance research related to service and learning in higher education.
When: May 17-19, 2017
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Registration is now closed.
The IUPUI Research Academy convenes each year in early May as part of a week long conference: Connecting Campuses with Communities. More information about the presenters for the event can be found here.
The Research Academy represents a growth point for research and scholarship focused on service learning. The proceedings challenge participants to develop collaborations with fellow practitioners and researchers that will enhance their work and contribute to a collective understanding of service learning. The objectives of the academy are to:
- Strengthen research on service and learning
- Advance the scholarship of teaching and learning
- Provide consultation and feedback on research proposals
- Build a network of service learning scholars
Location, Dates, and Time:
All activities will be held on the Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis (IUPUI) campus. The IUPUI campus is just minutes west of downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. We will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15, 2017 and conclude at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, May 19th.
Service Learning Institute: Activities begin at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15, 2017 and conclude at 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 17, 2017.
Research Academy: Check-in begins at noon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017, with the first session beginning at 1:30pm. We will conclude at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, May 19th.
All sessions will take place at the following address:
IUPUI Campus Center (CE)
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN, 46202
All cancellation requests must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, April 28, 2017. All cancellations are subject to a $25 cancellation fee.
Travel from the Airport to the IUPUI Campus:
- Taxi Cabs are readily available outside of the airport. The average rate from the airport to a downtown hotel (or to the IUPUI campus) is approximately $35.00.
- IndyGo offers affordable access via public bus transportation, seven days a week, early morning to late night with departures every half hour for most of the day. Route 8 runs through the heart of downtown and stops within a 15-minute walk of nearly two dozen hotels and terminates at the Airport's Ground Transportation Center. Read more about Route 8 public transportation at the Indianapolis Airport’s Download the Route 8 schedule. For more information, call 317-635-3344.
There are several hotels to choose from near campus. The Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capital is the closest one to campus (a few blocks and walkable) but there are several others available. Here is a list of other nearby hotels: http://visit.iupui.edu/lodging/.
Check with your hotel to learn about parking fees. Your hotel may provide shuttle service to the IUPUI Campus Center, located at 420 University Blvd. Indianapolis, IN 46202.
Parking on Campus:
If you plan to drive to campus each day and did not purchase a three or five day parking pass during the registration process, the fee to park in one of the campus parking garages is $11.00 a day. Please see the campus map/parking garage options link Campus Map : IUPUI to find the parking garage on Vermont Street. This is the closest parking garage to the Campus Center.
- Bike –Share. A bike-share stop is conveniently located on the IUPUI campus. There is a small fee to rent a bicycle, but they are a very nice way to get around campus and downtown Indianapolis.
We will upload common readings, to be used throughout the week, to box.net. Please bring a laptop or other device to access this information during sessions.
As a reminder, meals are not provided at this event. However, snacks and beverages will be provided during break sessions. We will provide a listing of several reasonably priced restaurants nearby, including the food court at the IUPUI Campus Center.
Please note: As part of registration, attendees are required to submit a response to the following: What do you hope to gain from this experience and how will it help advance your career? If you have not already submitted your response, please email to email@example.com by 4/28/2017. Submissions not received by 4/28/2017 will be considered incomplete.
If you have any questions regarding Connecting Campuses with Communities, please contact Tom Hahn at firstname.lastname@example.org for Research Academy questions or Laura Weaver at email@example.com for Service Institute questions.