America Reads & Counts
Office of Community Work-Study Main Pages
Did You Know?
Community Work Study Jobs
Provide employment near campus, flexible work schedules and VALUABLE work experience!!
For More Information
Information about America Reads*America Counts
This information is designed to help you understand how the AR*AC programs work, your expected commitment, and overall program expectations.
Please read the following information carefully. While you will receive a paid orientation before beginning at your site, this information will help you better understand your ability to commit to this program.
Details of the America Reads*America Counts Programs:
- All AR*AC tutoring is done in local IPS schools and community centers. Hours are available Monday-Friday from 8:00-3:00 pm (school sites) and 3:00-6:00 pm (community centers). There is NO work on weekends or evenings.
- Sites are all close to campus (within a 10 minute drive) on the near West and near East side of Indianapolis.
- You are required to attend a 4 hour orientation (paid) and a 3 hour pre-service training (paid) before beginning work. After you begin work, you are required to attend monthly (paid) professional development trainings, the first Friday of each month.
- You will be placed as part of a team of other tutors at your site. You will have a Team Leader who will help you organize your schedule and identify students with whom to work. You will also meet bi-weekly with your team to discuss site successes and challenges.
- You can create your own schedule that works with your school schedule. However, once you set your schedule, you must work that same schedule for the school year (unless your class schedule changes).
- You are expected to work a minimum of 6 hours per week, at least 2 days per week.
- You are allowed to take IUPUI holidays and flex your hours during exam time.
- You are paid for your time spent working directly with your students as well as the time you spend prepping to work with your students. All prep work must be done on-site in order to be paid.
- You will be paid $9.00 per hour on a bi-weekly basis. You will record your hours by clocking in and out on an online timesheet via the TIME system.
- You will be placed at a tutoring site based on your availability and site need. You will work at the same site for both Fall and Spring semesters.
Interested in applying? Click HERE to fill out an application!