Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship
Application Open for 2018-2019 Charles R. Bantz Fellowship Award and Scholar Award
Application Deadline - Monday, January 15, 2018, 5:00 pm
In 2015 in recognition of the leadership and contributions of Charles R. Bantz to the IUPUI campus and Indianapolis community IUPUI established the Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship. This grant initiative reflects Charles Bantz's dedication to research that embraces community-driven goals, creates university-community partnerships, and results in community impact.
With support from IUPUI, individual donors, and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Bantz Community Fellowship Award and Bantz Community Scholar Award support community-engaged research and scholarly activities that:
- Reinforce and deepen campus-community engagement and research partnerships;
- Leverage the knowledge, skills, and innovative talents of IUPUI faculty, students, and community partner(s) in a year-long scope of work that is of mutual value and interest;
- Result in meaningful community impact.
The Bantz Community Fellowship and Bantz Community Scholar awards provide up to one year of research support for a collaborative research team made up of faculty, staff, student(s), and community partners/members to address a pressing community issue in Central Indiana. Research teams must be led by a full-time faculty member who will serve as the Primary Investigator on the project.
To be eligible to serve as PI on a Bantz Community Fellowship or Bantz Scholar team, the PI-faculty member must have a full-time appointment (Tenured, Tenure-track, Clinical Faculty or Lecturer). Collaborative teams must include graduate and/or undergraduate students (full-time enrollment in an IUPUI program, in good academic standing), and designated community partner(s) who have been actively engaged in shaping the proposed goals.
- The Bantz Community Fellowship Award is intended to support and advance an established researcher, research team, and research agenda to further an existing national or local reputation for that research.
- The Bantz Community Scholar Award is intended to support and encourage a new or promising researcher, research team, and research agenda to impact community-driven goals and advance their own research agenda.
Both awards, the Bantz Community Fellowship Award and Bantz Scholar Award, will be determined through a competitive selection process on an annual basis. The selection committee is comprised of faculty and community-engaged scholars, campus administrators, prior Bantz Awardees, and community partners. Awardees will be notified by the IUPUI Chancellor in March 2018.
Applicants to the Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship Award must complete all sections of the application form. Applications are due by 5:00 pm, Monday, January 15, 2018. Click on the Bantz Community Fellowship and Scholarship 2018-2019 to (1) preview a PDF of the application, and (2) to begin a formal application.
Applicants may request up to $40,000 for the Bantz Fellowship, or up to $25,000 for the Bantz Scholar Award. Both awards require additional cash or in-kind match (minimum 20%) from the school, community partner, and/or other grants and partners. Applicants to the Charles R. Bantz Chancellor's Community Fellowship must complete all sections of the application form. Applications are due by 5:00 pm, Monday, January 15, 2018.
Learn more about the Bantz Fellowship and Scholar awards at an Information Session on Thursday, November 16, 2017, 10-11 am, UL 1126. Don't miss this opportunity to speak with current and past Bantz awardees, judges, and leadership as you prepare to submit your 2018 application.
- Fellowship and Scholar Award Program Questions - Teresa A. Bennett, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Community Engagement, Office of Community Engagement, email@example.com.
- Academic/Faculty Advice - Julie Hatcher, Executive Director, Center for Service and Learning, Division of Undergraduate Education, firstname.lastname@example.org.