Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
The IUPUI Bonner Leader Program
$3,000 scholarship and Earned Community Work Study – annually for 4 years
Deadline: February 1, priority date
The Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarship Program recognizes IUPUI students for previous service to their high school, campus, or community, and supports their continued involvement in educationally meaningful service, leadership, and social advocacy. The new Sam H. Jones Bonner Leader Program will provide selected students an ongoing cohort intended to help them develop their interest and skills related to civic engagement and leadership.
Bonner Leaders are selected through a competitive process open to incoming first-year students who are eligible for federal work-study awards. Applicants must meet regular admissions standards and have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Through the program each student earns their work-study award in addition to a $3,000 service based scholarship, renewable for all four years that students remain eligible in the program.
Bonner Leaders agree to enroll in at least 9 credit hours per semester, including a required service learning class for the first year cohort, and participate in planned community service activities during the year.
- IUPUI scholarship application (Applicants should be sure to complete the optional essay on service and community work.)
- Completion of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- An official academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one from a teacher who is familiar with your service involvement.
Interviews will be conducted for all finalists. Letters can and will be provided for guidance counselors. For more information, visit the Center for Service and Learning website http://csl.iupui.edu or contact Charli Lienemann (phone) 274-7535 for further information.
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while completing 3 1/2 service hours per week at George Washington Community School’s after-school program
- Attend the First Year Service Scholar Orientation in August
- Enroll in a service learning course, OLS 25200 (Human Behavior in Organizations), with other First Year Service Scholars in the spring semester
- Plan and implement Global Youth Service Day with the FSS team
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays twice a month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Volunteer with other FSS at IUPUI Day of Caring
- Act as a site leader at various campuswide service events,
- Attend an overnight Service Scholar Retreat
- All Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 25, 2017 from 1-7 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
- All Scholar Overnight Retreat: TBD, Friday-Saturday in September
- Bi-Weekly Meetings: TBD
- iServe: Saturday, September 9, 2017
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 21, 2017
- MLK, Jr. Day of Service: Monday, January 15, 2018
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Global Youth Service Day: TBD