Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
First Year Service Scholars
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017, through the Office of Student Scholarships.
February 15 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
$1,750 per semester; $3,500 per academic year
- 3.5 hours per week at service site
- 2-4 hours per month (planning/debriefing meetings)
Charli Lienemann: email@example.com or 317-274-7535
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate students beginning their first year at college eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours per semester
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
First Year Service Scholars (FSS) volunteer together for 3 1/2 hours each week at George Washington Community School’s (GWCS) after-school program. FSS tutor and lead activities to engage GWCS students in the after-school program. FSS enroll together in a service learning course during the fall semester and coordinate Global Youth Service Day in the spring semester. FSS also serve as site leaders for other campus-wide days of service.
How to Apply
- Complete the online form through the Office of Student Scholarships
- Provide two letters of recommendation with at least one from a teacher who is familiar with the applicant’s service involvement
- Provide an official academic transcript
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while completing 3 1/2 service hours per week at George Washington Community School’s after-school program
- Attend the First Year Service Scholar Orientation in August
- Enroll in a service learning course, OLS 25200 (Human Behavior in Organizations), with other First Year Service Scholars in the spring semester
- Plan and implement Global Youth Service Day with the FSS team
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays twice a month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Volunteer with other FSS at IUPUI Day of Caring
- Act as a site leader at various campuswide service events,
- Attend an overnight Service Scholar Retreat
- All Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 25, 2017 from 1-7 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
- All Scholar Overnight Retreat: TBD, Friday-Saturday in September
- Bi-Weekly Meetings: TBD
- iServe: Saturday, September 9, 2017
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 21, 2017
- MLK, Jr. Day of Service: Monday, January 15, 2018
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Global Youth Service Day: TBD