Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Family, School, and Neighborhood Scholars
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
$2,000 per semester; $4,000 per academic year
8 hours per week
Nicole Oglesby: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-278-2161
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate and graduate students eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students
- Must have completed at least 2 semesters at IUPUI or another institution of higher education
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
- Previous involvement as a Sam H. Jones Scholar (preferred) or must have possession of strong background in civic engagement or campus service
The Family, School, and Neighborhood Scholarship (FSN) is a service-based scholarship program in which IUPUI students serve with IUPUI’s Family, School, and Neighborhood Engagement staff to improve the quality of life in the urban core through workforce development, research, health, education, among other means. The scholars engage in projects and activities to assist in furthering the goals of local quality of life plans while also serving as student advocates for civic engagement on the IUPUI campus. Students are selected based on their commitment to service and interest and ability to be engaged in campus and community partnerships.
How to Apply
To apply for the Family, School, and Neighborhood Scholarship, the Sam H. Jones Community Service common application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- The name, phone number, and email address of one qualified recommender
A PDF version of the application is provided below to review essay questions before completing the application:
Scholarship Responsibilities and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Serve with Family, School, and Neighborhood Engagement staff eight hours a week from September through April
- Complete mandatory orientation at the beginning of the fall semester
- Be present for monthly trainings
- Record and report weekly service hours
- Maintain communication with the program coordinator
- Commitment to serve as a student leader on campus and in the Indianapolis community
- Participate in related community meetings
- Other duties as detailed by the program coordinator or staff supervisor
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017, from 4:00 - 5:30 pm
- Family, School, and Neighborhood Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 18, 2017 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Meetings: Monthly meetings will be held on the first Friday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 pm