Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Paw's Pantry Scholars
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
- Chair - $2,000 per semester; $4,000 per academic year
- Vice Chair - $500 per semester; $1,000 per academic year
Average Time Commitment
- Chair - 10 hours per week
- Vice Chair - 5 hours a week
Shaina Lawrence: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-8831
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate and graduate students eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Must have completed at least 2 semesters at IUPUI or another institution of higher education
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
Paw's Pantry Scholars oversee the operations of the on-campus food pantry that provides assistance to all IUPUI students, faculty, and staff. Paw's Pantry was created by students, run by students, and sustained through passionate involvement and volunteering. Scholars aim to educate the campus and community on issues surrounding hunger and food security in Indianapolis and research ways to make a difference.
For more information, visit the IUPUI Division of Student Affairs.
How to Apply
To apply for the Paw's Pantry Scholars Scholarship, The Sam H. Jones Community Service Common Application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- One recommendation
A PDF version of the application is provided below to review essay questions before completing the application:
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while serving, planning, and facilitating all activities
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Maintain ongoing and open communication with Program Director through emails, phone calls and or/meetings
- Attend semester retreats
- Attend weekly committee meetings
- Complete 10 hours of service (Chair position), or 5 hours of service (Vice Chair positions) each week
- Serve in the pantry 6 times per semester
- Fulfill any other duties and obligations as given by the Program Director
- Fall Retreat: Friday, August 18, 2017 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
- Spring Retreat: Friday, January 5, 2018 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Weekly Committee Meetings: TBD based on scholars' schedules