Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Political Engagement and Advocacy Apprentice
Political Engagement & Advocacy (PAE) Apprentices play an important role in supporting, sustaining, and strategizing about our community’s opportunities and education for political engagement (e.g., voter rights and education, voter registration drives, advocating for public policy). The position provides many opportunities for professional and personal growth and development.
Skills and Qualifications
Applicants must possess strong communication skills, have experience in organizing events and/or in leadership positions, and be able to work with minimal supervision. S/he must be well-organized, professional, and respectful of all viewpoints. Applicants should have a basic knowledge of political issues and processes (e.g., how to register to vote) and be able to exhibit non-partisan views about others’ political engagement.
Candidates must maintain minimum enrollment requirements (undergraduate - 9 credit hours/semester; graduate – 6 credit hours/semester) and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75.
Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply!
Specific Duties (include, but are not limited to:)
- Spend three (3) hours per week completing tasks related to planning and successfully executing events and initiatives such as, but not limited to:
- Tabling around campus to spread the word about voter registration, voting rights, and voting responsibilities (e.g., polling location).
- Reaching out to faculty, housing, and other student organizations for opportunities to present to such groups regarding voting and advocacy topics.
- Collaborating with local advocacy organizations (e.g., Indy Connect Street Team) to educate our community about local, political issues.
- Partnering with local arts & humanities organizations (e.g., Big Car) to engage IUPUI students in political place-making events and programs.
- Responding in a timely and professional manner to emails.
- Other duties assigned as necessary.
$500 per semester (average 3 hours/week during the semester for a total of 75+ hours). We are seeking two apprentices.
Completed applications will include:
- Two Essay Questions
- One (1) Letter of reference from a former instructor at IUPUI or former supervisor.
Apply - Application deadline August 19, 2016
For more information, contact Anne Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-5512.