Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Community Service Leaders
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
$2,250 per semester; $4,500 per academic year
8-10 hours per week
Charli Lienemann: email@example.com or 317-274-7535
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate students eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Must have completed at least 4 semesters at IUPUI or another institution of higher education
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours per semester
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
- Previous participation in another Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarship program
- If applying for CSL mentor positions, must have been a part of that program in order to be a mentor for it (e.g., must have been an FSS in order to be an FSS mentor)
Community Service Leaders (CSLs) are responsible for the planning of campuswide community service and civic engagement events and the mentoring of other Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholars. The program is designed to identify leaders that are best suited for leading specific events and programs based upon their knowledge, skills, expertise, and interests. For more information about each CSL position, click here.
How to Apply
To apply for the Community Service Leaders Scholarship, the Sam H. Jones Community Service Common Application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- One recommendation
A PDF version of the application is provided below to review essay questions before completing the application:
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester
- Attend the mandatory Community Service Leader Orientation in August
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while completing 10 office hours per week
- Complete the tasks required for the specific CSL position you are assigned (For a full list of CSL job descriptions, please click here)
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays once a month
- Serve as a mentor to a FSS as assigned
- Act as a site leader at various campus-wide service events, including iServe, United Way Day of Caring, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, and César Chávez Day of Service
- Attend an overnight Service Scholar Retreat
- Meet consistently with your staff advisor and act as support staff for community service and civic engagement events and programs
- CSL Orientation: TBD
- All Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 25, 2017 from 1-7 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4 - 5:30 p.m.
- All Scholar Overnight Retreat: TBD, Friday-Saturday in September
- Bi-Weekly Meetings: TBD
- iServe: Saturday, September 9, 2017
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 21, 2017
- MLK, Jr. Day of Service: Monday, January 15, 2018
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Saturday, March 31, 2018