Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Community Service Scholars
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
$2,000 per semester; $4,000 per academic year
4 hours per week
Charli Lienemann: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-7535
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate students eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Must have completed at least 2 semesters at IUPUI or another institution of higher education
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours per semester
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
The Community Service Scholarship (CSS) program is a service-based scholarship designed to expose IUPUI scholars to social issues in the Indianapolis community and to show how community agencies are addressing those social issues.
CSS scholars are matched with a community agency and serve four hours each week at the assigned community agency. While there, the scholar participates in programs and activities that further the mission of the agency while addressing the social issue. CSS scholars also enroll in a service learning course during the fall semester that allows them to reflect and discuss their individual service experiences in the context of academic research and findings about service. During the spring semester, CSS scholars collaborate to coordinate César Chávez Day of Service.
How to Apply
To apply for the Community Service Scholars Scholarship, the Sam H. Jones Community Service Common Application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- One recommendation
A PDF version of the application is provided below so you may review essay questions before completing the application:
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Attend a Orientation and Service Site Selection Meeting in April of 2017
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while completing four service hours per week at your assigned community partner site
- Enroll in a service learning course, PHST P330 (Topics in Philanthropy) with other Community Service Scholars in the fall semester
- Plan and implement César Chávez Day of Service with the CSS team
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays twice a month from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Act as a site leader at various campuswide service events, including iServe, United Way Day of Caring, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, and César Chávez Day of Service
- Attend an overnight Service Scholar Retreat in September
- All Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 25, 2017 from 1 - 7 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4 - 5:30 p.m.
- All Scholar Overnight Retreat: TBD, Friday-Saturday in September
- Bi-Weekly Meetings: 3-5 p.m. on each date
- Friday, September 8, 2017
- Friday, September 22, 2017
- Friday, October 6, 2017
- Friday, October 20, 2017
- Friday, November 3, 2017
- Friday, November 17, 2017
- Friday, December 1, 2017
- Friday, January 12, 2018
- Friday, January 26, 2018
- Friday, February 9, 2018
- Friday, February 23, 2018
- Friday, March 2, 2018
- Friday, March 23, 2018
- Friday, April 6, 2018
- iServe: Saturday, September 9, 2017
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 21, 2017
- MLK, Jr. Day of Service: Monday, January 15, 2018
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Saturday, March 31, 2018