Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
February 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of Scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
$750 per semester; $1,500 per academic year
Average Time Commitment
2 - 3 hours per week
Charli Lienemann: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-7535
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate and graduate students eligible
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Must have completed at least 2 semesters at IUPUI or another institution of higher education
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through Center for Service and Learning
ServiceCorps Scholars provide campus-wide educationally meaningful service events (Jaguars in the Streets Service Events) for our IUPUI community. Scholars represent IUPUI to the nonprofit community and lead IUPUI students in completing service projects. ServiceCorps Scholars facilitate team-building exercises, manage on-site service activities, and lead volunteers in discussions about social issue education and reflection. ServiceCorps Scholars also serve as site leaders for the other campuswide days of service.
How to Apply
To apply for the ServiceCorps Scholars Scholarship, the Sam H. Jones Community Service Common Application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- One recommendation
A PDF version of the application is provided below to review essay questions before completing the application:
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester (undergraduate) or 6 credit hours per semester (graduate)
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while planning and facilitating at least one Jaguars in the Streets Service Event each semester
- Attend the mandatory ServiceCorps Orientation
- Plan and facilitate one Jags in the Streets event each semester
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays twice a month
- Act as a site leader at various campuswide service events, including iServe, United Way Day of Caring, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, and César Chávez Day of Service
- Attend an overnight Service Scholar Retreat
- All Scholar Orientation: Friday, August 25, 2017 from 1-7 p.m.
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4 - 5:30 p.m.
- All Scholar Overnight Retreat: TBD, Friday-Saturday in September
- Bi-Weekly Meetings: 1-3 p.m. on each date
- Monday, August 28, 2017
- Monday, September 25, 2017
- Monday, October 9, 2017
- Monday, October 23, 2017
- Monday, November 6, 2017
- Monday, November 20, 2017
- Monday, December 4, 2017
- Monday, January 22, 2018
- Monday, February 5, 2018
- Monday, February 19, 2018
- Monday, March 5, 2018
- Monday, March 19, 2018
- Monday, April 2, 2018
- Monday, April 16, 2018
- iServe: Saturday, September 9, 2017
- United Way Day of Caring: Saturday, October 21, 2017
- MLK, Jr. Day of Service: Monday, January 15, 2018
- Cesar Chavez Day of Service: Saturday, March 31, 2018