Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarships
Alternative Break Program
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
Applications for 2018-2019 will open in the fall of 2017.
- Alternative Break Co-Coordinator (AB CoCo) - April 7, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
- Alternative Break Trip Leader (ABTL) - April 7, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Duration of scholarship
Awarded per semester; Renewable for the academic year
- Alternative Break Trip Leader - $500 per semester; $1,000 per academic year
- Alternative Break Co-Coordinator - $2,000 per semester; $4,000 per academic year
- Alternative Break Trip Leader - 4 hours per week
- Alternative Break Co-Coordinator - 10 hours per week
Niki Messmore: firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-8936
- GPA: 2.75
- Undergraduate and graduate students eligible
- Must have attended one IUPUI Alternative Break trip by April 1, 2017
- Not on IUPUI academic or disciplinary probation
- Minimum number of credit hours per semester to remain eligible: 9 credit hours for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students
- Complete a criminal history check, initiated through the Center for Service and Learning
Alternative Break Trip Leader
The goal of an Alternative Breaks Trip Leader (ABTL) at IUPUI is to be fully engaged in the planning and implementation of a quality Alternative Spring Break trip. This experience is designed to promote continued learning for both the Trip Leader and their participants while, at the same time, broadening individual leadership skills and perspectives. Trip Leaders are responsible for all aspects of planning the alternative break, managing group process, and leading the trip participants through service, education, and reflection.
Alternative Break Co-Coordinator
The Alternative Break Co-Coordinator (AB CoCo) serves as the student management team for the Alternative Breaks program. CoCos support recruitment, fundraising, marketing, and education efforts. They support and facilitate the ABTL scholars through effective communication, support, and regular check-in meetings. Finally, CoCos are responsible for planning a Fall Alternative Break with another Co-Coordinator and planning an Alternative Break on their own.
How to Apply
To apply for either the Alternative Breaks Trip Leader or Alternative Break Co-Coordinator Scholarship, the Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarship Alternative Breaks Program Application needs to be completed online.
It will include the following requirements:
- Personal background information
- Personal essays/responses
- One recommendation
A PDF version of the application is provided below to review essay questions before completing the application:
Scholarship Requirements and Expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Attend a Site Planning Meeting in April 2017 (after selection into the program)
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 9 credit hours each semester (undergraduates) or 6 credit hours (graduates)
- Represent IUPUI in a positive manner while planning and facilitating alternative break trip
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings
- Plan four pre-trip and at least one re-orientation meetings and activities
- Participate in fundraising activities
- All Scholar Welcome Event: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 4 - 5:30 p.m.