America Reads*America Counts
Students looking to make a difference in the community, especially in the lives of elementary-aged youth, will find a wonderful opportunity in the America Reads*America Counts program.
America Reads*America Counts is a Federal Work-Study program hiring Federal Work-Study–eligible IUPUI students as tutors (coaches) serving at schools and community centers to provide support to students struggling with reading and math. While previous tutoring experience is not required, candidates should possess a desire to work with children in a diverse population.
Following are important details to consider prior to applying:
- All AR*AC tutoring is done in local IPS schools and community centers. Typical hours are available:
- Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. on school sites
- Monday–Friday, 3:00–6:00 p.m. at community centers
- There is NO work on weekends or evenings.
- You are required to view an on-line orientation as part of the hiring process.
- You are required to attend a paid, on-site orientation at your tutoring site before you begin working.
- You will be placed as part of a team of other coaches at your site. You will have a Team Leader who will help you organize your schedule and identify students with whom to work. You will report directly to a site staff person know as the Site Supervisor who will be responsible for monitoring your work and time at the site and approve your bi-weekly timesheets.
- You are paid for your time spent working directly with your students as well as the time you spend prepping to work with your students. All prep work must be done on-site to be paid.
- You will be paid $9.00 per hour on a biweekly basis. You will record your hours by clocking in and out via an online timesheet in the TIME system.
- You will be placed at a tutoring site based on your availability and site need. You will work at the same site for both fall and spring semesters.