The Center for Service and Learning engages students, faculty, staff, and community members in educationally meaningful service to promote learning and development; advances best practices and research; achieves community goals through partnerships; and furthers the civic engagement mission of IUPUI.
To transform universities and communities through educationally meaningful service.
The center’s work is to be consistent with the following values:
We value programs that:
- Reflect our mission
- Are innovative and educationally meaningful
- Change lives through a commitment to the ethic of service
- Improve social conditions in the community
- Involve reflective practice that informs participants
- Build upon campus and community assets
- Respect the diversity of constituents
We value program operations that:
- Use teamwork to improve how programs are implemented
- Employ creative leadership to foster effective collaboration
- Demonstrate scholarly rigor
- Monitor and assess outcomes for program improvement
- Use resources in an ethical, informed, and effective way
We value knowledge that:
- Is generated in and with communities
- Is derived from service experiences
- Is gained through reflective practice
- Contributes to social change
- Respects diverse perspectives
We value collaborative relationships that:
- Advance our mission and vision
- Celebrate and recognize the contributions of others
- Promote integrity and commitment
- Are formed through constructive dialogue
- Develop over time
- Collaborate with other units and organizations to deepen community engagement in higher education: CSL achieves community goals through partnerships. Developing and supporting relationships with community partners is essential to fulfilling CSL’s mission.
- Contribute to cultivating a campus environment that fosters the development of community-engaged faculty, practitioners, and scholars: CSL collaborates with others on campus. Working with faculty and staff to achieve shared goals is critical to supporting learning and sustaining community partnerships.
- Contribute to cultivating a campus environment that enhances student learning and development across the curriculum through community engagement: CSL supports student learning and development. Designing educationally meaningful service experiences is an effective way to develop civic-minded graduates.
- Implement co-curricular programs to support student development and success: CSL furthers IUPUI’s civic engagement mission. Advancing the public purposes of higher education is important locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Advance research and scholarship to deepen understanding and to improve practice: As an IUPUI Signature Center, CSL advances best practices and research. Assessing learning outcomes and conducting research is essential to improved practice.
- Enhance staff culture of community engagement to support IUPUI as an employer of choice: CSL engages others in educationally meaningful service. Recognizing the contributions of others is valuable to sustaining service as a distinctive aspect of campus culture.
- Create a welcoming organizational culture that fosters staff effectiveness: CSL makes wise use of human and fiscal resources. Cultivating internal capacity is vital to sustaining programs and creating new initiatives.