This is a $5,000 scholarship earned annually for up to four years.
The priority date is February 1.
The Sam H. Jones Community Service Scholarship Program recognizes IUPUI students for previous service to their high schools, campuses, or communities and supports their continued involvement in educationally meaningful service, leadership, and social advocacy. The Sam H. Jones Bonner Leader Program provides selected students an ongoing cohort intended to help them develop their interests and skills related to civic engagement and leadership. Our program is part of the larger Bonner Foundation supported network of over 65 schools. As part of the Bonner network out students gain access to additional benefits to support their learning and professional development beyond their undergraduate education.
Bonner Leaders are selected through a competitive process open to incoming first-year students. Applicants must meet regular admissions standards and have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Through the program, each student earns a $5,000 service-based scholarship, renewable for all four years that students remain eligible in the program.
Bonner Leaders agree to enroll in at least 12 credit hours per semester, including a required Bridge Week experience, service learning class for the first-year cohort, and participate in planned community service activities during the year.
- IUPUI scholarship application (Applicants should be sure to complete the optional essay on service and community work.)
- Completion of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- An official academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation with at least one from a teacher who is familiar with your service involvement
How to apply
- Go to One.IU.edu.
- Search for "scholarships."
- If you are new to the Indiana University scholarship system, be sure to complete your general application to see a list of all recommended scholarship opportunities.
- Under the Opportunities tab, select Our Opportunities.
- Search "Bonner Leader Program" within Our Opportunities.
Interviews will be conducted for all finalists. Letters can and will be provided for guidance counselors. For more information or questions, contact Charli Lienemann at firstname.lastname@example.org (317) 274-7535.
View more information regarding the National Bonner Foundation.
Scholarship requirements and expectations
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Enroll at IUPUI during the current academic year for at least 12 credit hours each semester
- Represent IUPUI and Bonner in a positive manner
- Attend the Bonner Leader orientation in August
- Enroll in the program-specific first-year seminar in the fall semester with other Bonner Leader Scholars
- Attend mandatory scholar trainings/meetings on Fridays twice a month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Volunteer with other Bonner Leader Scholars as part of planned community engagement activities
- Attend Service Scholar Retreats
- All Scholar Orientation
- All Scholar Fall Retreat
- All Scholar Winter Retreat
- Bi-Weekly Meetings