The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) promotes teaching as a scholarly endeavor and a valuable subject for research, producing knowledge that is open to review and evaluation.
This highly interactive FLC provides an opportunity for SL instructors to deepen their understanding of service learning as a high-impact teaching practice. Participants will review literature that informed the current dimensions of the IUPUI SL Taxonomy, apply it to an undergraduate SL course to support fidelity, improve course quality, and conduct research on student learning outcomes.
Goals for 17-18 Academic Year:
- Understanding of good practice
- Work collectively to refine the SL Taxonomy
- Conduct a SoTL research project
Learning Objectives for 17-18 Academic Year:
- Articulate dimensions of quality in SL course design
- Discuss current research studies on SL course design that supports student learning
- Apply the SL taxonomy to identify variables that may relate to student outcomes
- Identify specific learning outcomes relevant to SL course goals
- Conduct a SoTL project using pre- post- design
- Share findings with others through local, regional or national conference(s)