The Research Academy is an intense, interactive three-day workshop designed to develop research, assessment, and evaluation skills; learn about methods; and develop a research or assessment project on high-impact practices (e.g., service learning, themed learning communities, global engagement, ePortfolios) or other engaged learning. The Research Academy is comprised of plenary and concurrent sessions as well as learning communities.
Conceptualizing, designing, and networking
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the 2020 and 2021 IUPUI Research Academy has been cancelled. Please plan to join us at the Spring 2023 Research Academy.
IUPUI Research Academy information
Cancelled due to COVID-19
When: May 13–15, 2020
Where: IUPUI Campus Center
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Cost: Faculty and Staff ($375)
Indiana University faculty and staff ($275)
Registration for the 2020 and 2021 Research Academy is closed due to COVID-19.
The Research Academy represents a growth point for research and scholarship focused on service learning and other types of engaged learning. The proceedings challenge participants to develop collaborations with fellow practitioners and researchers that will enhance their work and contribute to a collective understanding of service learning and other types of engaged learning.
Research academy objectives
- To strengthen research and assessment on high impact practices and other engaged learning
- To provide consultation and feedback on research and assessment ideas
- To build a network of HIP and engaged learning scholars
- To advance scholarship of teaching and learning
A significant amount of time during the Research Academy is dedicated to learning communities where attendees are divided into groups of 6-8 based on their background and research/assessment interests. Facilitated by two Research Academy faculty, these highly supportive and interactive sessions
- Establish methods to gather data needed
- Determine the appropriate design, methodology and timeline
- Advance attendees' ability to formulate and refine a research question
- Identify theories to frame their research